MCR seeks an energetic candidate to fill the position of Community Legal Resources (CLR) Counselor at Law.
The CLR Counselor at Law will work at MCR’s downtown Detroit office and be primarily responsible for the development and administration of MCR’s CLR program. The CLR program includes the implementation and administration of MCR’s Pro Bono Legal Referral Program and providing legal education for nonprofits, via the development of legal workshops, clinics, guides and manuals.
• Assist the CEO with fundraising and outreach for the CLR program
• Serve as a liaison between the CLR program and MCR’s Management Team
• Provide direct legal representation to MCR’s clients
• Coordinate CLR activities with MCR’s additional core programs: Neighborhood Exchange and Neighborhood Economic Development
• Manage clinics, workshops, legal projects, and community partnerships with law firms, corporate legal departments and nonprofit clients
• Design educational, outreach, policy, planning, and technical projects that address common client issues
• Create and maintain relationships with attorney volunteers and potential nonprofit clients throughout Michigan
• Support the organization’s communications plan including contributing to content for the website, newsletters, and other internal or external communications
• Strengthen relationships with the private bar by attending conventions, section meetings, and other events
• Identify and explore new opportunities to involve professional volunteers in other areas, e.g. financial services, engineering, etc.
• Travel periodically throughout the State of Michigan
• Perform other related duties as required
• JD and admitted to practice in the State of Michigan
• 2+ years of relevant legal experience
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively communicate in a diverse professional setting and provide information and legal counsel with courtesy and tact.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills
• Demonstrated high level of productivity in a self-directed work environment
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive situations effectively
• Experienced writer and presenter
• Demonstrated ties to the private bar in Michigan
• Enthusiasm for MCR’s mission to serve nonprofits and low-income communities
• Experience and passion for working in the nonprofit sector with diverse community organizations
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and credentials. Interviews begin immediately. Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references to Ashley Street, Operations Assistant, at [email protected] Please put “Application for CLR Counselor at Law” in the email subject line. For more information on MCR, visit www.mi‐community.org or www.neighborhood-exchange.com.
Commitment to Diversity
MCR works to ensure diversity at all levels of the organization. To this end, MCR strives to broaden the diversity of the staff and board across all parameters, in balance with recruiting and retaining the very best candidates available with respect to educational attainment, skills, and professional experience. MCR is an equal opportunity employer.
JOIN OUR NETWORK
Share your organization, news & views and resources with the Detroit community.